This guide is designed to help you identify at least 5 sources for your Literature Review (Assignment #3) and Research Essay (Assignment #4).
View the tabs above for suggested search strategies and links to research tools.
1. TOPIC/QUESTION: How much do you know? What do you want to find out?
2. CONTEXT: Which subject disciplines/stakeholders might study your question?
3. SOURCES: What would you like to find (or are you required to use)?
|Types of Sources:||Research Tool:|
|Websites (reputable)||Commercial Search Engine(s)|
View an example
4. SEARCH: What is available about your topic in published sources?
5. REFINE: If you are finding a lot, narrow your focus!
Sometimes tracking down a few sources and reading them is a good strategy to help you identify a focus (see Background Sources for ideas). It is typical to revise your question as you learn more about a topic.